Friday, October 15, 2010

Why I left Facebook and Why I'm sure I'll go back......but not anytime soon

Several of you have asked me lately if I had deleted you as a friend. While the act of unfriending someone rarely occurred in my social networking experience, I can see where you might think that I did. All those leftover comments on your wall, and the sudden reduction of "photos of you" has been because I have left Facebook (fb) altogether. And you know, I am not at all sad about this. I grew tired, weary, bored, bla bla bla of it. I mean.....I really just couldn't take it anymore. Besides being a huge waste of my time, fb was just getting me down. I mean... you try having a bunch of Alabama fans as your friends last year (while we may disagree on your college of choice, I still like you). I was also really discontented on the fact of so many people passive aggressively writing notes in their statuses to their ex. When my ex dumped me how many of you found out through fb. Zero of you did. Also, invites to events I would never attend in a different state, 700 miles away. And then they keep on sending it. Well I can fix that. 'Hide'.......Are you sure you want t hide this person from your news feed? 'yes'. Well as I was on my hiding binge I started to wonder, "do I even need this?" But it all really came to an end when my students' papers started to read like they were on fb chat. Incomplete sentences, misspelled words, and no capitalization filled the lines of their pages. It was ridiculous. Don't abbreviate words in a scientific paper.....geez.
But you know. I'm not free of criticism. My fb actions could rub people the wrong way. I'm not this self righteous guy who thinks he is too good for fb, I just got tired of the way it was/is. But I realize there are consequences to my actions. First of all, I am fully aware that you are now deprived of my status updates. Yes, they helped you get through the day. Yes, they were often comical and satirical. I while sometimes they went uncommented on, they got my point across in a non-depressing way. You sympathized with me when my garden was raped of its bounty. You were there with me attending my lecture series on 'how to live'. For those of you watched my urban balcony garden spring forth the literal fruits of my labor, thank you. However, I know that the majority of 'you' will never read this because, I used fb to advertise when I had a new blog up.
There is the downfall to me leaving, and most likely the reason I'll go back. But going back is a slippery slope. what would start as am innocent blog advertisement would then turn into a status update. And then, a new photo album. Then, when I've done all those things, I will end up killing a my day because of fb.


So here is what has to happen. 1) I need people to regularly check the post. I won't be advertising. 2) tell all your friends 3) this IS my social media. This is where you get the updates on my life and what is going on. So be expecting a lot more posts. 4) enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment