Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pura Vida Pt. 2 (The Rum is not Cheap)

I have been a moring person for most of my adult life. There is something about the day starting that just brings me joy and a little ease before I starth the day. I like that the hustle of life hasn't started yet and with it all of it's stress and responsibility. Here in Costa Rica all of what I like about the morning back home are multiplied.

The sun here at this time of the year comes up around 5, which suits me fine. We are on day 6 of 13 and I have been up with the sun for each of those day. Sometimes to go surf, others to just listen to the waves pound the beach, or others to sit and drink coffee and write. The coffee has been great. I have found this local brand called San Vitto. It's specific to the Southern Zone of Costa Rica and is a co-op of small family farms. It brews very well in the Cuban espresso maker that I brought. It's weird to think that the trip is half over because it just now feels that we are getting settled. IT has been a packed 5 days so far with a lot surfing and a lot of walking.

 Where we are now is a place called Playa Dominical. In every way imaginable, this is a surf town. It is tiny with two unpaved roads that come off of the main road. IT can be walked end to end in 10 minutes. This is haven for ex-pats and those looking to slow down. Form the planning stages of the trip, I was adamant about coming here. I knew of the place from magazines and surf stories. But somehow this "publicity" not really led to the place being overcrowded. We came here from Jaco` desperately hoping to leave the overpriced surf shops and the expensive food (not to mention the expensive rum) behind. I think we found that here. This town is a place for those hoping to stop and recharge, which I feel that I have done.  The hostel that we are staying in is a place called Cool Vibes. It is a large open air hostel with no air conditioning. But this place is right on the Pacific Ocean. The common room has a very large "window" that allows for the air to come through. A simple kitchen with a lot of space to chat with your hostel mates really sets the place apart. The only minor issue we have had, is that last night a red opossum went through the hostel kitchen and ate our eggs. Jess and I are paying $16 dollars a night to stay here, and the surf boards at this place rent for $8 for 24 hours.

We leave in a few hours to Uvita, about an hour down the coast. This is another forgotten place (Hopefully) with a large marine reserve and plenty of waterfalls. From there we really don't have a plan. We will be in Uvita 3 nights. I'm kicking around Panama, but I don't think  we will go that route. Whatever we will do, let's hope it's on par with what we have experienced so far.

~B




View from the hostel common room. The Pacific Ocean is right beyond the trees. Taken with a Kindle so not a great photo.



 








No comments:

Post a Comment