Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I Have Been Running on Dunkin'

Back in October I went full time with my Job. I went from splitting time between two part-time jobs to being very busy. Honestly, it caught me off guard. And while my work did not suffer, my diet did. The time that I once had to prepare food and eat sensibly disappeared, at least it seemed that way. But, conveniently there are no less than three Dunkin' Doughnuts between my house and School, and then a few more between school and work. And it was about this time that I realized that I really liked bagel sandwiches. And I was ok with it. I was making enough money to sustain myself and I convinced my self that I was busy enough to justify the habit. Understand that there were other places, but morning is what got me the most. But then it just got to a point that it just seemed all very wasteful. For me it showed a lack of preparedness, one thing that I like to pride myself on. Furthermore, it highlighted other issues that didn't quite sit well with me. If I was to rushed to cook, I was too rushed for other things, important things like fitness, surfing, Jessica, reading, learning Spanish, paddling. All of which can easily be stamped out of my daily life if I don't prioritize my time to include them. 

So as the new year came and went, I started to purposely shift. It was all very slow at first. I made it my New Years Resolution to read at least one book a month. I am pleased to report that I am on track. But I still wasn't eating any better. And now I am on the South Campus of FIU so I have even less time. But I started to  feel like this wasn't a very valid excuse to continue to eat out so often. 

So this brings me to today, the day before Lent. For the next 47 days, I am going to make it a priority to not eat out. No prepared food can be purchased by me. This is all about the financial side. Yes, there are added health benefits of cooking at home, but you can also eat healthy out....but you still have to pay a premium for it. This will hopefully teach me to be better prepared, think ahead, save money, and to ultimately address the "too busy to" thing I've taken on. What I am looking forward to the most is seeing if I can simplify by forcing myself to set aside more time that I will have to use if I want to eat. I will keep you updated. 




Side project: Hopefully some new recipes will come out of this. And I also am going to be taking a hard look at the impact my food choices have on the Environment. More on that later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment