Thursday, October 21, 2010

40 days, 40 Nights, Cuarenta Cosas de Miami

So, Lent is almost here. Well not quite. But, for what I'm doing this year, I have to start now. AND I NEED YOUR HELP! Firstly, let's review past lent experiences.

2006- No TV
2007- No Coffee
2008- No Fast Food (lost 8 lbs!)
2009- No meat (gained 2 lbs)

As you can see there has been a lot of 'no'. Not this year! I'm saying no to no this time and instead I'm going to be doing something instead of giving up something.

"But why bring it up now Brett???????"

I will tell you in a few short sentences. But I have to say, first, that this will NOT work without you. I need your input. That's why a begged you to come here from Facebook (for those of you who not friends with me on fb I went back to advertise this blog, even after a previous post).

So what am I going to be doing? I am going to be doing 40 things Miami. More specifically I am going to be highlighting 40 things that Miami is known for and do them all. But not just do them all, but do them all on video and post them here, on Woot's during the Lenten season. Now the catch.
All of you get to tell me what to do(within reason, I'm not going on a drug run on high speed boats through Biscayne Bay National Park). Now from the locals who read this blog, to those of you who may have stereotypes about Miami, I want you all. I need your suggestions. I would like to get more than forty suggestions and have you guys vote on them. But I need your help!!!!
I have this idea for several months now. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it because of my thesis and all bla bla bla. But now that my life is back on track, and the extra semester I'm going to spend here, it's back on the table.


No be creative. If you know something that I have, have to do put it in the comments. If you watched Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 and have a stereotype about Miami, put it down. I'll see if it's valid, and maybe do it. But here's the thing guys.......I need your Input for this one!!!!!!!!!!


Comment Comment Comment!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GTL in character - a la Jersey Shores in Miami.

    For the record, I accidently posted this exact post while signed in as Erin a minute ago, so I removed it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clubbing and road rage, I want video of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, Brett...so here are a few things I would put on the list....

    Recorded conversation of you ordering a meal/interacting with others in a restaurant...all in Spanish...

    Going to a Heat game...

    Eating a Jaxson's ice cream parlor, Joe's Stone Crab, and the Pink flamingo (happy to join you on any or all of these)...

    Salsa Dancing...

    Dominoes...in a park...with an old Cuban man...

    More ideas coming later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea!

    -Find the house the Jersey Shore cast stayed in MIA
    -Play dominoes in Little Havana
    -Take a swim in the Venetian Pool
    -Take a picture in front of the Versace House
    -Go to a club in South Beach
    -Salsa!
    -Airboat tour in the everglades

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, I have some much more serious suggestions!

    Gator Hunting (Go to the Everglades no earlier than 10pm, if you go to the entrance near Florida City you can still get in late because of campers but no one is watching the gate, the best night to go would be one with a clear sky and a new moon. Once in the park I recommend the first turn it's "Royal Palm" park and walk the Anhinga trail with flashlights to spot gators in the water) This is hands down my favorite Miami activity, if you have further questions please ask!

    Visit Vizcaya Mansion it's pretty cheap for students, in fact an annual membership for a student is SUPER cheap. The mansion is pretty cool, the gardens are cooler.

    Visit the Coral Castle, Fruit and Spice Park, Knaus Berry Farm (I used to live in the parsonage of the church across the street from here, lots of AMAZING baked goods, and fresh produce)- The Fruit and Spice park and Knaus Berry farm are both just north of Homestead on 248th St so I recommend doing both in the same day, Coral Castle I think may be near there too.

    Finally visit an all African-American/Caribbean church, I recommend Sweet Home Missionary Baptist, because I used to work there and I love them... but also cause they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Let me think you should definately first, eat at "chief creol" (its a resturant in north miami)
    second,go camping in the everglades in January and video tape it.
    third,go hang out with some native americans and interview them.
    Forth, you got to hit a night club Brett, thats just so miami

    Fith, spend time in little haiti and just get the feel. (but during the daytime please =))

    (well that's all for now if i think of anything else I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete